The best crowd appetizers available!
When you think about appetizers, the image of you making a choice between healthy and unhealthy options is perhaps the last thing that comes to mind. Over the years, our minds have been conditioned to associate elements such as salt, butter and lots of juicy fats with the concept of mouth-watering snacks. However, by definition, an appetizer is any food or drink served before a meal in order to stimulate the appetite. The calorie-packed fried snacks served at most restaurants and even at homes today defeat the entire purpose of hors d’oeuvres.
Five Unhealthy Hors d’oeuvres to Steer Clear Of
Before choosing your food the next time, remember that it is not a stand-alone treat but prelude to an even more elaborate meal. Eating while being on a diet can be very risky. Piling up 1,000 calories in your intake of a mouth-watering, albeit an unhealthy choice means accumulating way more than your daily calorie requirement in a single meal. Before throwing caution to the winds to tickle your taste buds, read on about these unhealthy appetizers that you must absolutely steer clear of:
- Jalapeno Poppers: These scrumptious poppers have astoundingly high calories content. A single portion of stuffed jalapeno poppers contains 135g of fat, 1,900 calories and 6,000 mg sodium. No amount of cravings can justify the intake of unhealthy contents in such monstrous proportions.
- Quesadilla: With 2,875mg sodium, 89g fats and 1,494 calories per serving, quesadilla has been labeled as the one of the unhealthiest American appetizers.
- Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese: There is nothing remotely healthy about this popular starter. It is about time that you stop convincing yourself that the presence of celery stalk makes this a healthier choice. With its 1,500 calories and 4,590 gm sodium there is absolutely nothing healthy about this appetizer.
- Spare Ribs: This is like mistaking a main course dish for an entre! Order this only if you feel no guilt about consuming 1,344mg sodium, 96gm fat and a whopping 1,376 calories even before you have ordered your main course meal.
- Guacamole and Chips: What’s not to like about guacamole that is enriched with the buttery rich taste of avocados. Well, most restaurants add an assortment of dips and chips to this otherwise healthy entre to make it a sinfully unhealthy food choice. You run the risk of consuming up to 1,400 calories with a single serving of guacamole and chips at most restaurants.
And for those of you that may be wondering, you can find the correct spelling for horderves here.
Watching what’s on your plate is not the same as depriving yourself of a hearty meal. You can indulge in tasty Hors d’oeuvres without necessarily piling on the calories. Here are some healthier alternatives:
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips: These thinly sliced potato chips that are baked only with a drizzle of olive oil make for a healthy yet tasty choice. It contains as few as 80 calories per serving, 260mg sodium and 3.5g fat. Also see our bacon mushroom.
- Carrot Fingers with Ranch Dressing: The entre contains a bit of cream cheese to enhance its flavors. Besides the hint of cream cheese, this option is packed with nutritious contents like carrots and almonds, and the harmless ranch dressing sauce.
- Apple Wedges with Granola Chocolate: It is fruity, it is chocolaty and it is healthy. Though apple wedges with granola chocolate essentially sounds like a dessert, it is very much an entre. Despite being laden with chocolate, a serving of this appetizer contains only 3gms of fat and 132 calories.
- Pesto Tart: As opposed to its rustic looks, this pesto tart is enriched with sophisticated flavors. It offers a unique combination of pesto, dried cranberries and Swiss cheese and contains 409mg sodium, 6g fat and 190 calories.